Saturday, March 28, 2009

Back from Sac Town

I just spent the last 24 hours in Sac Town (otherwise known as Sacramento CA). I have to say having been there before, this might be the perfect time of year to visit. First off, everything is in bloom: trees, flowers, people (well, they are marching around in less clothing). Second, it has not gotten crazy hot, which does happen as I remember well from summer time visits in the past. Summer in that part of the state is like a real time add for air conditioning. Hot, muggy and like a similar climate in Kansas City (where I lived for a few years) not a beach in sight.

But having said all that, Sacramento is a great walk/bike around town. Now, this time I was staying downtown as opposed to hanging out in Carmichael (where I have relatives) and I was really struck by how mellow it all was. The landscape is perfectly flat which has allowed the growth of a huge cruiser/single speed scene with people wandering around at all hours of the day and night on fixees, chopper bikes and all manner of non-hill climbing machines. There is also a nice bar and restaurant scene around town both near the convention center and also over near Fort Sutter.

Now if they could do something about those summers, I would start looking for jobs up there.

Oh, and a quick nod to Brew it Up, for their marvelous double IPA

No comments: